This is the recipe you want if you are craving a snack a bit chocolatey but still healthy enough not to cause any guilt. Hemp Protein Bites are based on a snack bite I’ve been making for years but has not had the right balance of ingredients to allow them to exist too long at room temperature. These bites hold their shape better and are delicious!
One of the ingredients I added to help improve consistency is quinoa flakes which I usually find in the cereal aisle of my natural foods store. Quinoa flakes are lighter than oatmeal and are gluten free to boot. So these bites have several of the health advantages I look for in a snacky treat.
- several sources of fiber from seeds, flakes, and dried fruit
- the sweetener is simply dates, no other source of sugar – hard to believe when you taste them.
- healthy fats from seeds and coconut
- antioxidants from the cacao powder
- if you use Ceylon cinnamon it has been shown to help balance blood sugar making this treat even gentler on your body
Enjoy and if you try making Hemp Protein Bites leave a comment and show me your drool-worthy bites on Instagram. Tag your photo with #freshbalancenutrition so I can check it out!
Hemp Protein Bites
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup hemp protein powder
- ¼ cup flaxseed, ground
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sunbutter
- 15 medjool dates, pitted
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup quinoa flakes
- Place all dry ingredients through cinnamon in food processor. Pulse until seeds are chopped but not completely broken down. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Place sunbutter, dates, and coconut oil in food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to wet in food processor along with quinoa flakes. Process until a sticky ball forms.
- Use a spoon or small scoop to form balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm. Store in refrigerator.