Eating for immune support is something we ought to be keeping in mind each time we plan a meal or snack. We find ourselves especially focused on nutrition right now. I encourage clients, instead of targeting individual superfoods, to combine a variety of fresh, good quality produce in delicious dishes throughout each day. This way you will hit multiple health supportive ingredients and enjoy your meals at the same time.
The ingredients in my chickpea meatballs over zucchini noodles topped with cashew basil sauce cover some of the major players in immune support: vitamins C and E, folate, iron, selenium, and zinc. This combination is one yum way to get in some plant-based protein, nutrient-dense carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Opting for zucchini noodles gives you a gluten free base for the dish and cashews provide a creaminess so you won’t miss the dairy cream. Overall this is an easy recipe packed with vitamins, minerals, immune-boosting nutrients that will keep you full, support your digestion, and supply a steady source of energy.
Let me know if you give Chickpea Meatballs over Zucchini Noodles with Cashew Basil Sauce a try. Give us a peek on Instagram and don’t forget to tag it with #freshbalancenutrition
Chickpea Meatballs over Zucchini Noodles with Cashew Basil Sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for brushing meatballs
- 3 medium zucchini, spiralized or use a julienne or vegetable peeler
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until combined.
- Scoop a tablespoon of bean mixture and roll into balls. Place balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush with additional olive oil.
- Bake 20 minutes. Serve over raw or steamed zucchini noodles topped with cashew basil sauce.