July 4th celebrations will be here soon. I always love the excitement of the days before almost as much as the festivities on Independence Day. Creating the menu for a picnic beneath a long drawn out fireworks show is a joyful project I look forward to. At least on item of food, in addition to every piece of serving ware, must feature the colors red, white, and blue… right?!So here’s a suggestion for this year. Pull out the food processor or blender and the preparation will be a breeze. Tell your dairy averse guests to relax and enjoy a piece of this cool and creamy treat. They’ll be shocked to learn that cashews are responsible for the cream cheese-like filling. The cashews and brazil nuts are rich in energy, protein, packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and much discussed omega-3 fatty acids.
With this eye-catching dessert you’ve satisfied the red, white, and blue menu requirement for your 4th of July event. Enjoy it and a wonderful day with family and friends!
Red, White, & Blue Vegan Cheesecakes
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw brazil nuts
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2-3 hours
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk, canned, shake before measuring
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Place dates, nuts, nutmeg, and cinnamon in food processor. Process until just begins to come together. Some coarse bits should remain.
- Press into a 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper.
- Place the drained and rinsed cashews, lemon juice, coconut oil, coconut milk, and maple syrup in a high powered blender and purée until smooth. Pour filling on top of crust.
- Combine berries in a small bowl. Stir in lemon juice. Spoon over cheesecake.
- Sprinkle coconut over berries.
- Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours until firm. Lift cheesecake out of pan using parchment paper and slice into 16 portions.