A little sweet snack. Sometimes we need one. I try to make sure my sweet cravings are met with a food containing some fiber, a healthy sweetener that is not white sugar, fruit and/ or veggies, no or low gluten, and healthy plant fats. If I’m eating this snack during the day I want it to help keep my energy up and my blood sugar steady. Often, I’m looking for a sweet taste after dinner, in which case I don’t want to upset my stomach or end up bloated by making the wrong choice.
My Carrot Walnut Snack Bars meet every single one of the requirements above. I love that they are moist, dense, and just sweet enough. They are dense with nutrients too. You’ll get omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A, calcium, and lauric acid from the coconut which increases the good cholesterol-HDL.
Pack these in your carry-on bag when traveling. Swap these for a less nutritious grocery store snack bar for the kids at the pool.
- 4 dates, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 ¼ cups carrots, finely shredded
- ½ cup coconut, unsweetened, shredded
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a food processor, blend dates, walnuts, and seeds until a paste forms.
- Add remaining ingredients and process just until everything is blended together.
- Press into an 8-inch square pan. Chill for 1 hour. Slice into bars.